Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Stop Idolizing Kylie Jenner


Unless you have lived under a rock for the past year or two, there is a pretty good chance that you are familiar with the Kardashian/Jenner family. You know, the one that gets ultra glamorous with their daily make-up teams and "momager" Kris who makes sure their lives always have a hint of drama? Yeah, that family.

In case you somehow are not familiar with them, media figures Kourtney, Rob, Kim, and Khloé Kardashian are the children of Kris Jenner and the late Robert Kardashian, who was OJ Simpson's attorney during his 1995 murder trial.

Although they are divorced as of 2014, Kris Jenner and retired American track star Caitlyn Jenner (formerly Bruce Jenner) have two children together, Kendall and Kylie Jenner (try saying all of these names ten times fast). The twenty-year old and the eighteen-year old have started to outshine their older sisters with modelling contracts and, as Kylie has clearly demonstrated, plumped lips.

Truth be told, I have no real problem with the Kardashian/Jenner family. I do not care how Kim initially made her claim to fame and I have no real opinion on what they do. In fact, I was someone who kept up with their dramatic shenanigans on their popular television show Keeping Up with the Kardashians once upon a time. They are simply a family in the media who gets paid for what they do on a daily basis, and I do not have anything awful to say about them.

However, in recent months, I have become more than sick of seeing the youngest sibling, Kylie, being idolized by the media. Yes, she has botox-enhanced lips, making them much fuller than average. Yes, she is apparently dating twenty-six year old rapper Tyga. But there is absolutely no reason for everyone to go crazy over a few dramatic features and aspects of her life.

I guess the real reason that I am going on and on about all of this is because after the recent attacks in Paris, I went online to stay in touch with the bombings and find out the whole story as it was unraveling. While doing so, I went on Facebook in hopes that I might also find some posts there that would educate me further on the situation. I took a look at the side bar that Facebook offers with recent updates in the world, and found nothing about Paris. Instead, all that I saw were "urgent" (more like infuriating) posts about a dress that Kylie had worn on a date with Tyga. Seriously?!

Amidst tragedy and fear, the media was solely concerned about what an eighteen-year old had worn to some expensive date with her boyfriend. Call me crazy, but there is something seriously wrong with this picture. It seems like everyday I see another post about what another dress she wore or another statement she made on another red carpet.

The most recent stunt that the media has put on blast is Kylie's latest photo shoot for Interview Magazine, in which the teen posed in a wheelchair as a fashion statement. Many have found this to be offensive, and rightly so.  

All in all, I am just getting tired of seeing headline after headline and hearing about Kylie Jenner with everything else going on in the world. Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against Kylie as a person. I have never met her, so I cannot really say anything as to how she truly acts or responds. What I do have a problem with is how the media has been seemingly worshiping her when there are much bigger matters to worry about at hand. Of course, this is true with many celebrities, it is just that this is one figure who I have been seeing the most about lately.

Rant over.




No comments:

Post a Comment