Sunday, January 24, 2016

Artist of the Week: Jenny Holzer

Happy Sunday! I didn't realize how long it had been since I last made an Artist of the Week post. My apologies!

If I'm not mistaken, I think that I posted my last artist feature on Christmas Day. (Whoops!) No worries, they're back again with this week's artist, Jenny Holzer.

(Side note: I would have chosen a better picture of Holzer to include, but copyright infringement prevented me from doing so. *Sigh*)


As a neo-conceptual American artist, Holzer's creations are fueled by political and social movements of her time. Working and living in Hoosick Falls, New York, she has also been a prominent voice among the artists for feminism.


Holzer, now 65-years old, has incorporated the usage of projection and electric lights in her art work over the years. Each piece, as simple as the words may be, entails deeper and vivid concepts for the viewer to grasp.


The large-scale artist initially started her work by leaving paintings and script around the city of Manhattan. Eventually, that led her to begin to create billboard pieces and the building projections, where her career really took off. Holzer has also put some of her pieces on vehicles, as pictured below.

To learn more about Holzer and to view some of her most cherished and powerful work, visit her website at projects.jennyholzer.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment