Thursday, November 26, 2015

Stories from Thanksgivings Past

-->

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Because the big day has finally arrived, I figured that I would write one more post in honor of the national holiday. I think that it is pretty universal that every family has at least one good story from Thanksgiving celebrations in the past. For my family, I do not even know where to begin.

Every Thanksgiving, I stay at my grandparents’ house in a small town in Pennsylvania. My aunts, uncles and cousins that I normally do not get to see come over on Wednesday and Thursday during the festive week. To say that we have some pretty memorable stories to tell from Thanksgivings in the past would be an understatement.

A while back, my grandpa needed to fix the hot water tank in the house so that Thanksgiving dinner could run smoothly. Not long after going down to the basement to fix what he needed to, a loud booming sound roared. Everyone heard it and was confused as to what had happened. When my grandfather had come back upstairs, it was hard to miss the singe marks that covered his green sweater. It was even more difficult to miss the fact that he no longer had any eyebrows. Ah, memories.

My grandma likes to make coleslaw as a part of our big Thanksgiving meal. A few years ago, my family was chowing down on what they had gathered on their plates during the feast, just talking and having a good time. After some of my family members had decided to dig into the coleslaw, they noticed something strange about it. It was not long before they noticed that someone had accidentally ground up some plastic spoons into the cabbage mixture. Everyone was okay, but I am still happy that I did not like coleslaw at the time.

One of my personal favorite stories happened just a few years ago. When your grandpa has five other siblings, the extended family can get pretty big. One of his sisters is married to someone who has a nephew in New York City (we will call him Freddie). Freddie has no relation to the Morral family, either. My grandma had apparently run into him at a wedding and said that he was welcome to come to their house any time, out of common courtesy. 

Thanksgiving morning rolled around, and word had started to spread among my grandparents’ house that Freddie was on his way from New York City to spend Thanksgiving with our family. Freddie had decided to bring cheesecakes and stayed until late that night. I think that everyone was just as confused as the next person as to why he was there in the first place. Needless to say, that was a weird Thanksgiving for everyone.

What are some of your best Thanksgiving stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment