Sunday, December 6, 2015

Confessions of a Perpetual Overthinker

 
Overthinking is something that I deal with on a daily basis. I know that I'm not the only one, but it can get awfully frustrating when so many thoughts flood my mind day in and day out. When anxiety, excitement, worry and happiness are felt at the same time, I have no idea what to think at all.

I am probably one of the most curious people that you will ever meet. I love learning new things and exploring different ideas. However, this can be one thing that only adds to my swirling mind. I get so fidgety and distracted by the simplest of matters, which tends to only make things worse.

Perhaps I am such an overthinker because I have a lot to say, but do not know how to express all of it. As an artist and a person with an imaginative spirit, I have so many ideas that I want to communicate. Rather than talking about them all of the time, I tend to put them into writing or imagery. Even though others might not understand, it makes all of the sense in the world to me, which is what truly matters.

I worry about matters that don't need to be worried about at all and have doubt about a lot of things, especially in myself. I get nervous about everything that I shouldn't, making it hard to distinguish important circumstances from minor ones. I feel like there is a pit in the bottom of my stomach that never goes away, just because of how I feel the majority of the time.

The only way to really describe such thinking patterns is that it sucks. It's hard to deal with, and it's even harder to get over. My worst enemy is myself a lot of times, and it can seem like an impossible cycle to escape from.

One thing that really helps me in taming my restless head is turning my thoughts into creations. I write down just about everything that comes to mind, and it is something that helps a ton. Being able to physically look at and read just what is going through my head can be a comforting concept, especially when there are so many different things going on at once. I keep a journal (or at least something that I can write in) with me at all times, because I know that I will get the urge to write at least something down, even if it is only a few words.

Meditation is also a wonderful way to calm myself down. Even just a few minutes of solidarity and quiet allows me to get in touch with myself once again. Ignoring the chaos that is the world around us for even a short time can make all the difference. 

I guess that the primary reason that I'm choosing to write all of this today is for that very reason. It's so easy to fall into silly patterns in life, especially ones like overthinking. If you struggle with similar problems as this, remember this: if the issues that you are facing won't matter even a short time from now, then they aren't worth getting worked up about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment