Friday, December 4, 2015

Artist of the Week: Lawrence Weiner

In search of a new artist to showcase this week (and also to peak my personal interest), I came across Lawrence Weiner. With a bit of a different style, the New York resident expresses his creativity through typography.
 
Using different fonts and phrases to cover the walls of his exhibitions, Weiner allows a person to read and comprehend what they are seeing, rather than absorbing a visual image into their mind.
Up until today, I have never really discussed my interest in typography. I have been interested in the art form for quite some time now, and I could not be more thrilled that I came across Weiner to share in this post. The phrases and words that he strings together, combined with simple color here and there, have so much more meaning than there appears to be. 
I actually found it incredibly difficult to pick just a few pictures that I wanted to attach to this post. I saved about twenty files before realizing it might be a bit excessive to add them all. (But really, is there such a thing as excess in the world of art?)
 
Perhaps the most crucial lesson that Weiner represents in his art, is that there is no limit to artistic expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment