Sunday, December 13, 2015

Climbing the Obstacle of Writer's Block


My mind seems to be a place full of every thought imaginable. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I'm constantly thinking (in fact, that might be an understatement). I'm curious and have undeniable hunger pangs to learn about anything and everything—so why do I come across writer's block as often as I do?

I used to turn my music off only to turn it on again (in which the cycle would usually repeat itself), because I would put the blame on sound as a distraction. I would cut everyone and everything off until my brain found some solid footing to bounce ideas off of.

Over time, I have realized that these interruptions haven't been what has hindered me from connecting two and two in my writing. If anything, they have probably helped me come up with words in many different cases.

As of lately, I tend to attribute this obstacle in my thought patterns to the fact that I find it difficult to land on just one topic to write about. Because I always want to write about every little thing, it's not uncommon that I find myself mashing four different topics together until it sounds like a pile of absolute rubbish.

Putting so many thoughts and ideas into one piece makes it look like I wasn't even thinking at all. At times, it looks as if I might as well have sat down and put "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" because that's exactly what it feels like.

So, how do I move past such cringe-worthy moments?

The ironic thing about my writer's block is that I generally find myself writing to overcome it. I jot down some ideas onto paper in an attempt to piece them together. Whether I decide to use them all is to be determined until I mold them into one productive plan. I have slowly (but surely) been finding that lists are a vital tool to utilize in life.

I have also found that mindless phone apps and casual Internet scrolling in my free time have given me some of the greatest inspirations. In reality, it would have originally been the last place that I would have looked.

Thinking less and meditating more is one thing that has also been a stepping stone for me. Recently, I wrote about how overthinking is something that I deal with on a 24/7 basis. Perhaps the reason that I have decided on this notion is because, with less thoughts to deal with, there are infinite ideas to discover.

How do you deal with writer's block?


No comments:

Post a Comment